Friday 21 May 2021

Elementary, my deer...

One of the recent Creative Challenge prompts on the Sylvanian Families Forum was "Sylvanian Eras - Victorian".  Well, we couldn't pass that up, could we?

We thought it would be fun to recreate a Victorian-era literary character in Sylvanian form - but which one??  It was Caitlyn Hazelnut who thought of Sherlock Holmes, and with that, the game was afoot...

After much examination of all our Sylvanians, Mr Buckley was chosen as the best fit for this character, which Husband found intensely amusing, given the name of the famous detective's iconic hat...

I made Sherlock's pants, waistcoat, Inverness travelling cloak, and deerstalker hat (the white shirt is Mr Buckley's own), as well as the magnifying glass.  The rest of the accessories were already owned by various Sylvanians, and just had to be borrowed for use here.

Also thank you to my Dad and his wife, who gave me the beautiful edition of The Complete Sherlock Holmes that our Sylvanian Sherlock is standing on!  I couldn't have wished for a better setting for this photo (and incidentally it's rather a good read, too...)  :)

9 comments:

  1. The first thing that drew my attention after the impressive Sylvanian Sherlock was the apparent mosaic flooring. What a great touch, and thanks to your Dad for this.

    The clothes are amazing, of course; your sewing is as good as ever. The waistcoat is dapper, the coat/cloak nifty and the deerstalker is brilliant. Mr Buckley models them well.

    Your props are well-chosen and I love the construction of the magnifier. I cobbled one together for my worm farm story, but yours shows what one should look like!

    Congratulations GreyRabbit for this artistry, and to Caitlyn for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely compliments, Jackson!

      The book really is beautiful, and the timing was perfect, as I got it for my birthday earlier this month!

      The magnifying glass felt almost like cheating, actually, but I'm really pleased with it. The silver wire came with my husband's new mobile phone, already bent into that exact shape - it's a little accessory meant to help one to press a hidden reset button or something. Anyway, I snaffled it immediately. All I had to do was dip the straight bit into black nail polish to create the handle, hang it up to dry, and it was done! :)

      Delete
  2. Very cute, will Mr.Buckley now become the detective for Macadamia Grove? He certainly lookd the part. The hat looks awesome and wraps up his "detective" look!πŸ•΅️‍♂️πŸ₯ΈπŸ¦ŒπŸ”

    Thanks for sharing, Yosemite (AKA Posh Pear)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yosemite. No, Mr Buckley is no detective - this costume was just created for the challenge. Mr Buckley is in fact the headmaster and sports teacher at Macadamia Grove Primary School. Caitlyn tells me he does want to keep the coat though, for those cold morning walks to the school. We have decided to give the hat to Mr Rivertail the beaver, to wear when he goes fishing. So the bits of the costume will not be wasted. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi GreyRabbit!

    What a great idea for the challenge; Mr Buckley is the perfect Sherlock Holmes! Love the tiny accesories and the book you got as a gift was perfect for the scene as well. The clothes are beautifully made! I had no idea that type of hat is called "deerstalker"!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi GreyRabbit!
    I´ve just seen your last post and I love it! The outfit is perfect from head to bottom. What an amazing job! It looks so neat! The accesories look great too. Mr Buckley was a very good choice to feature Sherlock Holmes.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I just found your blog while searching active SF-blogs to add to my read list. You have definetly been added! I love Sherlock Holmes, what a deer, deer man <3
    Also loved your post about the library. Keep up the good work! And welcome to visit my blog aswell <3
    https://kokoelmakirjo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Cutata!

    And thanks Toukkero, nice to meet you! I will certainly be a visitor to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete