Saturday 16 January 2021

The Talented Dr Murdoch

Not only is Dr Tobias Murdoch a highly skilled surgeon, and friendly neighbourhood doctor, he plays the guitar, too!

Harry Spotter brought his son James in for a check-up late this afternoon.  As it happened, James was Dr Murdoch's last appointment of the day.  As they are great friends, Tobias offered Harry a cup of tea after the appointment, and he and James hung around for a chat.  

Alice Marshmallow (who was on reception today) was just getting ready to leave for the evening, when she noticed that Dr Murdoch had got his guitar out.  She wasn't in a hurry to leave, so she pulled up a chair to listen as well.

Young James Spotter was very interested in this impromptu concert, too.  He hadn't heard Dr Murdoch play before, and enjoyed hearing these old favourites.  He was also amused by the way his father joined in the singing during the chorus - Harry's voice wasn't nearly as good as Dr Murdoch's!

                                 ***********************************************

Each month on the Sylvanian Families Collector's Forum, there is a creative challenge.  This month, the theme is "Talent Show" - we were challenged to show off the talent of one or more of our Sylvanians.  This is my entry for the challenge.

I made Dr Murdoch's guitar by loosely following this youtube video.  If you would like to see (more or less) how it was done, or have a go at making one yourself, I recommend checking it out (although please note I do not know the person who made this video, nor do I guarantee what sort of content may or may not appear in the comments attached to it etc - proceed at your own risk!).  I did simplify my guitar quite a bit (hers is amazing - really an insane level of detail that I did not think was necessary for my version!), but I am still happy with the results.





9 comments:

  1. Aw, a lovely little tale! A great idea too, having Tobias use his skillful surgeon's hands to play guitar. The guitar looks good, even having a sunburst effect. I will certainly check out that YouTube tutorial. You did a splendid job, and Tobias looks most comfortable sitting there twanging away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again GreyRabbit and Caitlyn Hazelnut!


    What an adorable short story and a beautifully detailed guitar.
    It looks so real and the size is just perfect for a Sylvanian.

    Wish there were a clip of Dr Murdoch's voice (and Harry's!). :)


    Kind regards,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - wouldn't that be something? Not sure I'd convince my husband or anyone to voice any of my Sylvanians! :lol: You might just have to imagine Dr Murdoch's tunes for now, Nina!
      Thanks for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  3. Hello GreyRabbit,

    What an unexpected talent Doctor Murdoch has! You did a wonderful job with the guitar, and I enjoyed seeing Alice, Harry and James enjoying the impromptu concert. Great idea for the challenge! :)

    Have a great week-end, and stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tobias' guitar looks wonderful, GreyRabbit! I wonder what other talents he may possess? I love the look on James' face haha-he looks so suprised at his dad!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi GreyRabbit,

    Lovely short story featuring talented Doctor Murdoch.

    I love the guitar. When I saw the first picture I never thought it was handmade.

    It looks great! I´ve been looking for a guitar that looks nice and fits the sylvanian size for a long time but I haven´t been lucky so far. I must have try to do my own but lack of time for new projects is a big issue at the moment.

    Congrats! You did a wonderful job.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kelsie and Cutata for your lovely comments.
    Cutata, I know just what you mean about lack of time! There are so many Sylvanian projects I want to do, but finding time to do them is tricky!

    ReplyDelete