Sunday 3 October 2021

Giant Pumpkin!

This is a bit of a flashback to Autumn in Macadamia Grove - the village put on a small harvest festival, showcasing fresh produce and other locally-grown items.  It was mostly arranged by the Grunt family, as most of the fruit and vegetables produced in Macadamia Grove are from their farm, but there were also a few stalls featuring handicrafts, baked goods, etc by other residents of the village.

Mr Grunt was extremely proud to unveil his prize butternut pumpkin!  

This giant was grown especially for the festival, and Mr Grunt lavished a great deal of attention on it as it grew.  The local children could not believe their eyes at the size of it, and were eager to write down their guesses in the hopes of winning a prize!  

The pumpkin was even featured in a newspaper article, advertising the festival.  Mr Applewood, the Macadamia Times photographer, had stopped by the day before.  He took a photo when Mr Grunt had just set things up.

A good time was had by all at the little festival, and the Grunt children felt very important having their dad pictured on the front page of the local newspaper!

****************************************************************************

I couldn't resist taking this picture back in Autumn.  My aunty grows pumpkins in her back yard, and had asked me if I wanted one.  I said yes, so as a joke she presented me with this tiny butternut she had grown - yes, it is a real pumpkin!  It was so cute, I just knew I had to incorporate it in a Sylvanian picture.  So the photo was taken around the end of May, but I decided to hold onto it for a while, as I figured there would be a pumpkin-related craft challenge on the Sylvanian Families forum at around this time of year.  Well, it isn't a pumpkin-related theme exactly, but it is an "Autumn Colours" theme.  I know people will probably expect a lot more orange and red, but honestly where I live, the colours in Autumn aren't much different from the colours at any other time of year (most of our trees are not deciduous).  So I have decided my pumpkin photo qualifies!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, GreyRabbit, and doesn't Mr Grunt look proud? I wonder who won the prize? And what did they win? So many questions! I'm even wondering if your photographer is a distant relation of my newspaper owner Darcy!

    The Autumn Colours theme has me pondering too. Although there are one or two story strands I should really pursue, I can't link them to the season - even using an inventive idea like yours!

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NO, I named the wrong mouse!! It isn't Mr Fielding who works for the newspaper at all; it is Mr Applewood! The Fieldings run the Pizzeria in Macadamia Grove, but both they and the Applewoods belong to Caitlyn. Sigh... Perhaps it is reading about your Darcy that made me type the wrong name...? Certainly it is your mentioning him now that has made me realise my mistake!

      As for the prize, I understand it was a large box of chocolates from the Chocolat's shop, along with a voucher for the Vache's icecream shop. It was carried off triumphantly by young Todd Rivertail.

      Thank you for your lovely comments Jackson, and also for commenting so quickly, giving me the chance to fix my silly error!

      Delete
  2. Such a cute pumpkin! Well, I'm just gonna guess the weight in grams? Hmm, 11 grams?

    Thanks for sharing and tell Mr.Grunt I told him Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, funnily enough I didn't actually weigh the pumpkin before we ate it! It would definitely have been more than 11 grams though.
      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi GreyRabbit!
    Loved this short story! I was wondering how you'd made such a perfect giant pumpkin for your Sylvanians and was amazed to read that it's a real pumpkin, haha! So cute! Mr Grunt looks so proud; he did a great job! :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pumpkin was cute - I understand that my Aunty was quite pleased to see it become "famous" here. lol

      Delete