Saturday 27 April 2024

Sylvanian Pride and Prejudice - Part Three

For those who do not know, it has been a long-term project of mine for to cast and photograph Jane Austen's novel, Pride and Prejudice, using Sylvanian Families.  I am sorry it has been so long since the last instalment - sometimes real life gets in the way!

Anyway, here is Part Three - just a short one this time, but I promise the next part will not be too far away (and will get into the story a little more than this one does!)

If you missed the earlier parts, I recommend reading Part One first.  (I also highly recommend seeking out Austen's original book and reading it - it is great fun!).

Obviously, the words that follow are not my own, although I have heavily abridged the original text.  I do hope you enjoy it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The ladies of Longbourn soon waited on those of Netherfield.  

The visit was returned in due form.  

Miss Bennet’s pleasing manners grew on the good will of Mrs Hurst and Miss Bingley;  and though the mother was found to be intolerable and the younger sisters not worth speaking to, a wish of being better acquainted with them, was expressed towards the two eldest.    

By Jane this attention was received with the greatest pleasure;  but Elizabeth still saw superciliousness in their treatment of every body, and could not like them. 

It was generally evident whenever they met Mr Bingley, that he did admire Jane...

... and to Elizabeth it was equally evident that Jane was in a way to be very much in love.  She considered with pleasure that it was not likely to be discovered by the world in general, since Jane united with great strength of feeling, a composure of temper which would guard her from the suspicions of the impertinent.

Occupied in observing Mr Bingley’s attentions to her sister, Elizabeth was far from suspecting that she was herself becoming an object of some interest in the eyes of his friend.  

Mr Darcy had at first scarcely allowed her to be pretty.  But no sooner had he made it clear to himself and his friends that she had hardly a good feature in her face, than he began to find it was rendered uncommonly intelligent by the beautiful expression of her dark eyes.  


Of this she was perfectly unaware; - to her he was only the man who made himself agreeable no where.


~~~ o ~~~

6 comments:

  1. Hi GreyRabbit!

    I loved reading the third part and going back to reread the first and second parts.
    The pictures are amazing and you did a job posing the characters of the story.
    It's an ambitious project but once you have the outfits made it will be easier to develop the story little by little.
    I wanted the story to continue a bit longer so I´m looking forward to the next instalment.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cutata, thanks for your lovely comments!
      I know this one was very short, but it worked this way for the "Love Is All Around" prompt on the forum! Not to fret though - I plan to start work on the next part very soon!

      Delete
  2. Oh, the bonnets… so good… have you thought of doing a tutorial on them? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sequoia! I haven't, really. They are actually very easy to make! I can't remember where I found the pattern for the fabric ones (such as the one Elizabeth is wearing here), but it looks as though it may have been in a Sylvanian collectors magazine. Not sure, but there are definitely scans of it kicking around on the internet.
      The stiffer bonnets sported here by Jane and Miss Bingley are made from store-bought dolls hats, which we then cut to shape with scissors before adding decorative elements.

      Delete
  3. Ahh you left us on a cliffhanger, GreyRabbit! I'm desperate to know more! (even though I've read the book and watched the movie and series several times haha)
    Everything about this is perfect: the narration, the posing, the outfits, the sets. That first photo is stunning - it really looks like they're sitting in the parlour of some regency mansion, sipping tea and making polite talk. You use such beautiful backgrounds and outfits, I can't imagine how much time must have gone into them.
    I was smiling at the bit about Elizabeth unknowingly becoming Mr Darcy's object of interest. Our Elizabeth is going to be in for a shock!
    What is your favourite screen adaptation of the book? I think the BBC series is most accurate but I can't help loving the 2005 movie!
    Looking forward to Part 4!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsie! You are very kind - I'm afraid I can't take too much credit for the background in that first picture though! It is actually a real place in England, called Lancaster House. The website I found the picture on is here, if you are interested: https://www.movingvenue.com/venues/lancaster-house/ I understand it is available for hire as a function venue - how wonderful would that be?!
      I do hope they don't mind me using a few of their photos as background pictures (if they do, I guess they'll say so, and I'll take the pictures down), but I just feel this picture works so beautifully as the sitting room at Netherfield.
      My favourite screen adaptation is definitely the BBC series - no competition, I'm afraid. There is one other sort-of-adaptation that I really like though - it is a miniseries called Lost In Austen. It's about a girl in modern day London who accidentally switches places with Elizabeth Bennett. This obviously plays havoc with the storyline, which she desperately tries to fix even as her presence continues to change things. I don't usually like films that "mess about" with classic stories much, but this one is a lot of fun.

      Delete